Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Blog Letting

I sense my inner blogger is getting restless and wants to come out and write. Random thoughts and ideas swirl around in my head as I go about my daily business, but generally only small bits of them make it to paper.

Paper - now there's a thought. Funny how we can create software to make a screen white and let us type into it, and it becomes our modern day equivalent of paper. I wonder if the next generation will even be able to write beyond their own signature. I know some writers type on old keyboards to get in touch with their inner writer, but to me, it just seems like a lot of extra downed trees. I mean, the written page is a beautiful things, surely as beautiful as a tree, but the piles of paper I would throw in the trash, trying to create a sentence that I'd want to keep, would designate me my own landfill. And for me, I create better digitally. I feel more free putting down the words, when I know I can take them all back with a backspace key, or a "select and cut" command. In fact, I found it difficult to type at all back in the day when the typewriter keys would jam together, and deletion was a major ordeal. Oh, but remembering that is definitely telling my age, unless one just likes to do this "old school" style.

My somewhat random thought for paper today? Change. Since this historical election, it seems so much has changed in the minds and hearts of the masses. It's mostly optimistic, although we are mostly feeling pessimistic about the short-term wellness of the economy. But, besides U.S. policy, both domestic and foreign, the time seems ripe for a change of attitudes and culture. Whereas intellectualism almost became a dirty word, now it is becoming revered again. We wanted brains in our leaders again! Oh my, what else could this lead to? Perhaps, we, as a society will have renewed respect for our educators and scientists? Perhaps, our children will put more posters of Nobel Prize winners on their bedroom walls, rather than pop culture celebrities? Perhaps, more people will chose more worthy idols and role models other than sports and movie stars? Now, we seem to have a sense that anything is possible, so why not this? Something to think about.

No comments: